Thursday, January 13, 2011

Avilda Green Oler Searle

Avilda Green Oler Searle
1897-1968


            Joseph and Alice Green Oler were born and reared in American Fork, Utah, and married 10 Feb. 1892 in American Fork by Elder John McNeil. We lived about two miles west of American Fork. Father farmed and logged for a living. Lydia, their first child died at the age of nine years of diphtheria. Funeral was held in front of our home because of epidemic. I was past four and remember playing with her and how she tried to amuse me as mother washed my hair. Alphonso, their second died at the age of three, so I never knew him, being born a few months after his death. Edith, the fourth child was born 28 Nov. 1901.
            On 6 Nov., 1891, my father’s mother died leaving 13 children. Some of father’s brothers and sister lived with us at different times. Pearl lived with us till she got married. She was more like a sister to me than an aunt. Uncle Roy lived with us some of the time. He filled a mission and on returning, soon got married.
            In March 1902, father and mother went to Salt Lake Temple and had their family sealed to them. Then in April, father and family and Uncle John Kelley and family moved to Shelley, Idaho, on a farm about three miles northeast of Shelley. I attended a small school at Stanton for five years. The George Lufkin family lived near us and their daughter, Jane, was a very close friend of mine. Being the oldest child living, I helped father on the farm when needed. When 12 years old I drove four head of horses on a beet wagon to Shelley to unload, with father in front of me with a load of beets. Father was always helping others, yet he had a struggle to make ends meet. Horses and colts dying, cows and calves bloating. He managed somehow to take good care of his family always gave us a nice Christmas.
            Mother’s father died when she was one and a half years old, so that left grandma a widow. After her family married she lived with her sister, Alice, who was also a widow. Grandma came to visit us often, and especially when babies were born. Living with us when she died in Jan. 1921.
            On 1 Aug. 1905, Uncle John Kelley baptized me in a canal running through Dad’s farm. Following spring, Clyde was born. When small, he had the measles and was very sick.
            In spring if 1909 father and Uncle John moved to a 160 acre farm southeast of Shelley. Father took the east 80 acres and as there was no house on it, we lived in the dirt cellar and granary till fall, then that winter we lived in two rooms of Kelley’s home till spring. The twins Maurice and Maurine were born in November and that winter I was sick with typhoid. By spring, father and Uncle Roy had two rooms finished of the new home on Dad’s farm so we moved. Uncle Roy helped father farm till he was killed by lightning 1 Oct. 1914.
            I finished grade school at Shelley and attended Primary and Religion Class. Joined MIA when 14 years old and our activities as a group of girls was meetings, parties, and dancing. As a group of boys and girls we went in a covered wagon to the hills to Uncle Spencer Williams sage hen hunting. We were chaperoned by an older person, (my mother went once) for on 12, Nov., 1915, Alice was born. That made eight children.
            My first experience working in the church was in 1914 as a secretary in the Second Ward Sunday School with Brother Howard Young Supt. In 1916 Bro. Andrew Bolander Supt. and I was secretary.
            In June of 1916, Eli Searle of American Fork, Utah, came to Shelley to see Cliff Crooks, his school pal and seek employment, and that was the beginning of our romance. That fall after harvest Eli went home. For the holidays, Mary Millar and I went to Utah. We had a wonderful time visiting, parties, dancing, ball games and a trip to Heber City, Utah to see my Grandma Green. Next spring in March Eli came back to the farm for father as he was fieldman for U.I. Sugar Co. Our courtship continued and that fall plans were made, and we were married 19 Dec., 1917, in the Salt Lake Temple. We stayed with Eli’s folks till spring, then returned to Shelley and Eli worked for father on his farm. That fall the flu was bad, Eli was called into the service, got as far as Provo, Utah, then the war was over.
            The day we had looked forward to 7 Jan. 1919, our first child, Earl was born. That spring Eli had some extra land rented, planted beets and made some extra money, so we planned on building a home. Eli was called on a mission to California. He left 9, Dec., 1919. Earl and I lived with my folks, and each fall I weighed beets for the U.I. Sugar CO. When Earl was a year and a half years old he got some pills, we didn’t know how many he swallowed, but went into convulsions. I called the Dr. and he pumped his stomach. The Elders administered to him and through the blessing of the Lord he was made well. Eli returned for his mission January, 1922. We have always been grateful that he was able to go. Soon after his return, he and father and Mark Oler started on our fist home. Father gave us an acre of land. By fall, two rooms were finished and we moved in, then by 1923, the home was finished. By now we were blessed with two more children, Wendell and Winona, later Leon, Karl and Merwyn. As parents we felt a great responsibility. They have been a joy and blessing to us. They are all married, been to the temple and have families. We love and enjoy them all.
            In 1923, I was secretary for the Shelley Stake Primary with Sis. Florence Larsen as Pres., Marinda Johnson, Ruby Johnson, Ethel Bair, Daisy Christenson, and Lenore Christenson as counselors at different times. I was set apart May 1924, by Elder F.C. Mickelson. Released 26, May 1927.
            I was set apart by Bp. Oliver Humphrey as secretary of the Second Ward Relief Society, with Sis. Emily Millar Pres., and Counselors Mary Halliday, Ethel Bair, Emma Hansen. On 10, Sept. 1933, we were released. Again sustained Sec. & Trea. With Sis. Juliet Oler Pres., LaVern Mallory and Fern D. Kelley as Counselors.
            In 1935, I had a nervous condition which kept me from many activities for a few years. Second Ward was divided November, 1947, I acted as work director of Third Ward Relief Society for about 3 years, with Carrie Kelley as Pres., Maurine Searle and Lottie Christensen as Counselors. For eleven years I was on the Primary Stake Board and it was a humbling experience, but I am grateful for that privilege and the association with the other members, for their faith and testimonies which have strengthened mine. The closeness of our friendship, our spiritual experiences at April Conferences, our fasting and Prayer circles together, parties and socials, with the responsibility of doing our assignments will always be remembered.
            When in the hospital in 1929, I had a goiter operation which left me with no energy at this time. I was given a blessing and told my work in the Church would be with the children and that was very true, for several years Meryle Hamilton and I were teachers in the Sunday School Kindergarten in the Second Ward, then with LaVona Hyde. When on Primary Stake Board it was in Group 1. In Jr. Sunday School as Coordinator, now a teacher in Jr.S.S.
            Summer of 1949, the Oler reunion was held at Sterling, Alberta, Canada. Sixty-four people from all states attended from the United States. We took them by storm.
            On July, 1953, Earl, Eli and I attended the nest reunion held there. We enjoyed both of them.
            During the Christmas Holidays of 1950, Earl, Elaine, Richard, Ranee, Leon, and I went to California. Karl was in the service at Fort Ord before being shipped over seas. We visited with him and Elaine’s Aunt and Uncle Stones at Berkley. Then we went to Rose Bowl Parade in Pasadena and later saw the football game.
            In November of 1951, Eli and I went with Garth, Winona, Larry, Daryl, and Chris to Phoenix, Arizona. Eli and I enjoyed the trip. We attended a session in the Messa Temple.
            February, 1953, was my first research at Salt Lake City. I went with Ruth Oler and my sister Maurine. In January 1955, Ruth and I went again to the library. That summer I sent five family group sheets to Salt Lake Library of Browns and Tomlinsons. They were approved so I continued on.
            Eli and I took the train in March 1954, for Connecticut. Leon was released from his mission and he wanted to purchase a car and have us accompany him home. At the mission home we met President and Sister Maughan and several others. After Leon purchased his car, we toured Vermont and Washington D.C. and then came home. We were gone 15 days.
            Before the Idaho Falls Temple was built Eli and I with others went to the Logan Temple and did endowments. Once we stayed two days and roomed with Brother and Sister Etrick Millar, our dear friends.
           

Though we searched far and wide.
You’ve been so wonderful, Avilda,
To have working on our side.
You’ve shared your lovely home,
And made us feel at ease.
It was your earnest goal,
 To always try to please.
You became a friend indeed,
To every one you met.
And always in your work,
A good example set.
If each one you have worked with
Could herself express,
 They would pray that God would bless you,
With every best success.

Some how Webster left out the word,
That explains how very nice you are.
You set such high goals and reached them,
 You’ve been a shining star.
May the green pastures you spoke about,
 Be green always for you,
 In whatever you might do.

Given at Avilda’s funeral by Lavon Hyde.

No comments:

Post a Comment